Monday, June 29, 2009

Movie Review: Pink Panther 2

"I would like a rhumb". Whenever I've heard those words pronounced, even without the outrageous French accent, in any hotel lobby, I can't help but laugh. I've been a Peter Sellers fan since I was a young boy and those words always remind me of the bumbling Inspector Clouseau. Many people have found Sellers interpretation of the inept detective as pure comedic genius, and as such, it is to be expected that anyone trying to reprise the role would have some rather large shoes to fill. And as funny as Steve Martin is, I just don't believe that he is up to it.

When many think of Clouseau, they mention several traits that Sellers used to define the character: the outrageous French accent that even the French don't seem to understand, the sexist and racist remarks that are pronounced regularly and the massive ego of the bumbling detective. Personally, I've always thought that what made Seller's Clouseau tremendously funny was his outrage at others less than gallant behaviour and his nonchalance when faced with the most embarrassing mishaps. But the true genius behind it was the delivery. Deadpan, and believable. And sadly, Martin is anything but.

Although I laughed on a few occasions throughout the film, I was also reminded how unfortunate it was that Sellers died so young. Martin has seized on what the average person knows about Clouseau, bumbling ineptness, and given his take on it. I hate to critique someone of Martin's comic calibre, but in this case, I can't do anything but. Whereas Sellers seemed a natural, Martin is nothing short of forced in this role. He is just trying too hard, and that just takes away from the comedy. And in a movie with a cast that also includes another comedic genius, John Cleese, the result is simply not what I expected.

My recommendation really depends on your tastes. If you like Peter Sellers, then don't bother with this film. Otherwise, take a look, you might find something to like about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment