Friday, May 22, 2009

Movie Review: Star Trek

Yes, I am a Trek fan. From the very first time I watched the Original Series, through all the movies, then Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and even Enterprise. I've seen every episode, from every show at least twice, and in some cases, a lot more than that. Like a lot of fans, I kept hope for another movie, seeing as Nemesis had left such a convenient opening for another story. I even secretly hoped for a Voyager movie, although that was wishful thinking to say the least.

So when I saw the first previews for Star Trek, I rejoiced! When I discovered that Adams would produce, I became a little sceptical; being the hardcore fan that I am, I was hoping that it might be conceivable to have Jonathan Frakes direct another movie. And then, as more information became available, I realized that the franchise was about to get a reboot.

I have never been a big fan of rebooting movie franchises. But after seeing the movie, I am a little torn on this topic. The cast was fantastic, the chemistry was quite good and bound to get better, and the special effects were astonishing, if not a little too overwhelming. But the original time line has now been destroyed. With Spock as the only conceivable link back to the Federation that we discovered in all those different episodes is gone. And I find myself missing it already.

Perhaps this time, Star Trek will finally gain the audience it deserved all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment